Thursday, February 11, 2010

YSL

I'm dedicating all this months cupcakes to the memory of my late grandmother Maria De La Luz Aviles-Escamilla. Who instilled in me without passion and determination nothing is possible..Te Amo Abuelita!



Yves Saint Laurent a.k.a. YSL


There is no denying that I’ve always had a unique idea of what fashion is to me and to individuals. Anyone who knows me knows that I can be quite shy, and don’t always vocalize my ideas and reasons behind my choices. I don’t feel like fashion is something that needs to be explained or even defended. Fashion is what you make it to me! I find that you can be influenced from a great collection from a world famous designer to even a stain on a white t-shirt.




I chose Yves Saint Laurent as one of my influences in fashion because they’ve always taken risk and a nice approach to putting together “looks” for fashion forward people that are everyday individuals, not just looking for that one nice outfit for an event.

They are designed for both modern women who have a keen sense of freedom and follow their instincts with assurance, captivating others with their elegance, as well as men who prefer a nonconformist look and assert the different facets of their personality in a modern and sensitive way.



Founded in 1961, Yves Saint Laurent is one of the greatest fashion names of the late 20th century. Throughout the years, the groundbreaking designs of the Couture house created innovative pieces of clothing.
Yves Saint Laurent was the first Couture house to launch, in 1966, the modern concept of luxury women's prêt-à-porter, in a collection called « Rive Gauche ». It was followed in 1969 by a « Rive Gauche » men's ready-to-wear line. The Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche boutiques were soon opened throughout the world, allowing fashion-conscious working individuals to wear the Yves Saint Laurent designs. This represented the first step in making luxury labels accessible to a wider public.




I chose to use a chocolate raspberry cupcake because like most of YSL’s fabric choices they’re usually black. I figured I would put a small amount of raspberry preserves in the batter because raspberries to me seem very regal. I was heavily influenced by this photo especially the lace, it inspired me to take a course in spinning and working with sugar. A quite daunting task at that; I had many burns and scorched pans due to many attempts at getting it right! I was thinking to myself it wasn’t going to happen and I screamed “Fuck It!” I quit thinking I would be defeated and took to it again and again. I made an amber colored sugar and took out the picture and made what I thought would be an interesting topping to the cupcakes Much like the woman’s hat in the picture that is what I was thinking when I placed the sugar sculptures atop the chocolate raspberry butter cream. I even took some of the liquid sugar to glue on silver and gold candy embellishments to make it more sophisticated and to give you a visual “Hard on“ to put it lightly…ha ha ha ha. I chose a black and gold plaid cupcake liner for this particular cupcake because I remember seeing a vintage 80’s YSL blazer as a teenager in a clothing store.



Here is a link to the YSL website where you can see a preview of the Fall 2010 collection
http://ysl.com/us/en/index.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment